We still have not moved into our bedroom.

Everytime we seem to be getting closer, we actually get further and further away.

It would have been nice to move in to the bedroom by early fall. The items we definitely needed to do was to fix the closet (which we finished a few weeks before Thanksgiving) and paint the room. If it was just that, we’d easily be moved in by now. However, a few problems came up. One problem was the noise from the bathroom plumbing. We’d kind of known about this problem for a while, but I just did not want to deal with it, partly because I had no idea how to fix it. I first figured we could fix it from above (access from the attic to the wet wall), but that did not work. Then maybe from the bathtub access panel, but that’s not where the noise was coming from. I really dreaded the possibility of opening up the bedroom wall to fix it. Especially after my dad had done such a nice job of filling the wall with insulation and covering it with sound board to minimize noise from the bathroom (all done from the bathroom side, not the bedroom side of the wall).

But it had to happen, so I opened up the wall. I tried to make the opening as small as possible, at first by removing the baseboard trim, and making a hole which would later be covered by the trim (see picture). I could see pipes, but it was hard to pinpoint the problem. Based on shining a flashlight and manipulating a camer in there, we came up with a few possible culprits, but it was hard to tell. So the hole in the wall grew progressively larger, to about 1.5ft’ x 2.5ft (the width of 2 stud cavities). And after some fiddling, chisel work, some sawing, we eventually seemed to have fixed the creaking pipes.

small hole in wall

This was just a few weeks ago. So far, the noise has gone away and stayed away, so the wall gets patched up. Now, it’s time for the baseboard trim. Well the trim needed some work, before it could be put back. You see, while pulling it out, we managed to crack the ends where the nails were in place. It took much longer to pull out than expected, because it was originally installed before the flooring and the nails were actually below the floor line. So that explains the cracking of the wood trim to get it out (we also cut most of those bottom nails to pull the trim out, but I digress…). Two ways I could “fix” the cracked trim. Buy a new piece of wood and cut it to size to replace the old trim (relatively easy), or glue the cracks on the old trim (relatively easy to do as well).

We decided to repair the old trim. Not because we’re cheap and did not want to buy new trim, but because we don’t like to waste things and throw stuff away (in this case, the old wood would end up sitting in the basement for god knows how long…). So the decision being made, I think it’s a good idea to strip the paint from the trim before the glue job, so it would look better and not be so “mucky” mixed with the old paint. A couple of applications of Citristrip, some scraping, and after removing 4+ layers of paint, it looks pretty good.
bare wood trim

I glue the edges back up and it’s as good as new, ready to be put back into place.

However, this got us thinking, wouldn’t it be cool if the trim was all bare wood (finished with some oil, of course). We have had this idea before, as natural wood is a very big draw to us. But we’ve had mediocre results (at best) with stripping paint in the past. Until now.

We have definite plans to strip the paint off the trim in the dining room, and possibly the living room. And for a time, we tried to strip paint off the trim in the front bed room (which we eventually decided to paint over). And so I mentioned the possibility of stripping the paint off the trim in the bedroom to Serena. She seems intrigued, but we eventually agree, that it is not worth our time and effort, and we should just paint over it.

[To be continued …]